Earning Sober is a program to help people earn the Sober token by working on their recovery from addiction. Its primary aim is to promote recovery and community. The amount earned is not related to how much Sober you hold or how long you've been sober. Earning Sober is not designed to generate large amounts of Sober to be used for profit - rather, it is designed to recognize achievements in sobriety and support sobriety. The spirit of giving and donating Sober in ways that support recovery is the long term goal of Earning Sober.
How Do I Earn Sober?
Participating is easy. The steps are:
- Sign up by completing a one-on-one voice interview on Discord and filling out this form: Earning Sober Signup Form
- Receive the Earning Sober NFT
- Complete at least 4 Sober tasks each week
- Fill out the report form on the Sober website by midnight Thursday each week: Earning Sober Reporting Form
- Sober rewards will be automatically sent weekly to holders of the Earning Sober NFT
What Is The Earning Sober NFT?
Sober is using NFTs in an inventive way. The NFT is a marker for receiving rewards and how long you've been in the Earning Sober program. It has clawback and freeze enabled, but for good reason. At the end of each week, people who submitted the report and successfully completed at least four tasks will be given rewards. Those who did not will have the NFT pulled back by the Earning Sober wallet and will not receive any rewards. The NFTs for Earning Sober always belong to the program, and they are never bought or sold. They are just utility markers for distributing the Earning Sober rewards.
Do I Have To Be Sober To Participate?
No, non-sober individuals can be eligible to participate by supporting people in recovery. However, some of the tasks can only be completed by sober individuals.
How Much Can I Earn?
The initial rewards rate is 365 Sober per week. This may be adjusted in the future.
How Do I Get Started?
Reach out in the Earning Sober channel on the Discord to introduce yourself: https://discord.gg/ekjbVgS2FC If a genuine interest in recovery is determined you will receive the NFT. Sign up for the program after your one-on-one interview here: Earning Sober Signup Form
People who meet that standard will be sent the Earning Sober NFT and may start working on the recovery-based activities immediately.
Weekly Activities For Earning Sober
To remain active and receive the rewards, you must complete at least 4 of the following activities every week.
- Stay physically sober for the week
- Post in the Sober Discord how you're doing related to recovery (at least 5 days out of the week)
- Attend the weekly voice discussion meeting
- Post something relevant to recovery in the Sober subreddit
- Help someone new to Sober or sobriety by talking with him/her publicly on Discord
- Post about Sober and recovery somewhere and share the link to it in the weekly reporting form
- Complete a form of spiritual growth (such as meditation) at least 4 days of the week and post about how it went and how it's helped you each day
- Spend at least 1 hour in a one-on-one setting with your sponsor working on recovery
- Submit or tell your story (anonymously or not) to be shared on Discord
- Refer someone who joins the Earning Sober program
- Get a sponsor for the first time (in Sober, a 12 step program, etc)
- Complete reading a book about recovery and provide a brief summary of how it helped you on Discord
Examples for Weekly Activities
1. Stay physically sober for the week
Do not use any mind or mood altering substances except as prescribed by a doctor with knowledge of your addiction(s).
2. Post in the Sober Discord how you're doing related to recovery (at least 5 days out of the week)
Post something in the Discord similar to this: "I'm still sober and hanging in there but I've had a few thoughts about drinking/using lately and get agitated with others more easily than I usually do."
3. Attend the weekly voice discussion meeting
Participate in the weekly voice channel meeting on Discord. Time and day of the week will vary so check for it on Discord. Must attend for the whole time and sharing is strongly encouraged.
4. Post something relevant to recovery in the Sober subreddit
Make a new post (not a comment) related to recovery on our subreddit. Share an article, something interesting you found, or something that's going on with you that you want to share or get input on.
5. Help someone new to Sober or sobriety by talking with him/her publicly on Discord
Have a public conversation with someone new to our Discord about recovery. You can engage with someone new after they introduce themselves. You can also proactively ask how everyone is doing and if anyone would like to talk about anything. It must be an actual conversation, not just a couple messages.
6. Post about Sober and recovery somewhere and share the link to it in the weekly reporting form
We don't want to encourage aimless promotion of Sober, but if you find a good opportunity to share what we're doing, include the link to what you've posted on the reporting form.
7. Complete a form of spiritual growth (such as meditation) at least 4 days of the week and post about how it went and how it's helped you each day
For me, prayer in the morning and evening are part of my recovery program along with routine meditation. While I do those most days, I also need to post on Discord about how it's working for me to fulfill this requirement.
8. Spend at least 1 hour in a one-on-one setting with your sponsor or sponsee working on recovery
Spending one-on-one time with someone else in recovery is hugely beneficial for many. It could be a sponsor from a 12 step program, another recovery program, or the Sober community. Spend at least an hour with them working on recovery. If you are sponsoring others, you can use your meetings with sponsees for this as well.
9. Submit your story (anonymously or not) to be shared on Discord
Written stories should be at least 1,000 words about what it was like, what happened, and what it's like now. May only be completed as an Earning Sober activity once per year. Stories will be shared on Discord either anonymously (if you prefer) or with your name (if you would like people to be able to share with you their thoughts on your story and how it helped them). An alternative would be sharing your full story in a Sober voice meeting for about 45 minutes. Contact us to schedule that if you prefer.
10. Refer someone who joins the Earning Sober program
If someone you refer to Earning Sober signs up and receives the NFT, you can report this on the form with their Discord name.
11. Get a sponsor or new sponsee (in Sober, a 12 step program, etc)
Intensive work with a sponsor is imperative to recovery for most. You can get a sponsor in a program like AA or in the Sober community. It isn't always easy to ask someone else to be your sponsor and should be rewarded. If you aren't really sure what a sponsor is or does, just ask - we will be happy to explain it to you. Typically, a sponsor is someone of the same sex whose primary role is to guide you in your recovery and share their experience, strength, and hope.
12. Complete reading a book about recovery and provide a brief summary of how it helped you on Discord
Read (start to finish!) a book about recovery and share a few paragraphs about the book and how it's helpful on Discord.